The leadership of UPC aims to provide its congregation with a carefully curated list of essential resources that can help you grow. Below you'll find a number of books, videos, articles and more that we hope will be valuable to you. We are still building out the list, so stay tuned for more!
Books for Adults
- The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges - Offers a clear and thorough explanation of the gospel and what it means to be a believer.
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney - Guides you through a carefully selected array of disciplines by illustrating why the disciplines are important, showing how each one will help you grow in godliness, and offering practical suggestions for cultivating them.
- The Spirit of Disciplines by Dallas Willard - Reveals how the key to self-transformation resides in the practice of the spiritual disciplines, and how their practice affirms human life to the fullest.
- Never Too Late by Rob Rienow - A practical and biblical wisdom to guide parents trying to reach their adult children for Christ.
- The Beautiful Community by Irwyn L. Ince Jr. - The church is at its best when it pursues the biblical value of unity in diversity. In The Beautiful Community, pastor and theologian Irwyn Ince boldly unpacks the reasons for our divisions while gently guiding us toward our true hope for wholeness and reconciliation.
- A Faith Worth Sharing by C. John Miller - In these warm reflections on his own growth as a witness to the faith, written in the final weeks of his life, "Jack" Miller tells how he learned to share Good News with others and how you can too.
- Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer - If God is in control of everything, can Christians sit back and not bother to evangelize? Or does active evangelism imply that God is not really sovereign at all? In a careful review of the biblical evidence, J.I. Packer shows how a right understanding of God's sovereignty is not so much a barrier to evangelism as an incentive and powerful support for it.
Books for Kids
Videos & Podcasts
- TGC Podcast: How to Share the Gospel for All to Hear by Sam Chan - Sam Chan delivered a message during a breakout session at The Gospel Coalition’s 2019 National Conference titled, “How to Tell Your Friends About Jesus Without Becoming That Guy.” Many of the things that we believe will help to convince others of the truth of the gospel—such as facts, evidence, and data—are actually the least powerful factors in doing so. Far more powerful are community and experiences. This means the most effective methodologies for helping others to hear and understand the gospel include experiences that merge Christian and non-Christian friends and offer opportunities to listen to and learn from one another. From these things, fueled by prayer, opportunities for gospel conversations will inevitably arise.
Articles & Reports
- TGC Article: The Folly of 'Looking for Community' by Eugene Park